Monday, January 01, 2007

Welcome to Ought-Seven

Think old geezers in 2047 will refer to this decade as the Oughts? As in, "I remember the great blizzard of Ought-nine" and "Yep, that was the Presidential election of Ought-eight..."

For me this decade has definitely been the decade of the oughts. But that's been true of every decade since I became an adult full of regrets and conscious of my many sins and failings, as in "this year I ought to be smarter" and "this time I ought to be stronger."

So in honor of the new year, here are my oughts for Ought-seven:

I ought to be more patient, generally, but especially with someone I know who needs me to be more patient.

I ought to remember to say, "Good dinner, dear," before dear asks plaintively, "Did you like the dinner?"

I ought to get out more.

I ought to explore the west bank of the river.

I ought to see what's over that hill.

I ought to figure out how to get from here to there.

I ought to get that looked at.

I ought to stop making that mistake.

I ought to get over it, get past it, get around it, and get used to it.

I ought to know better.

I ought to pay more attention.

I ought to fix that.

I ought to be more concerned.

I ought to let it slide.

I ought to be able to go without it.

I ought to do that more often.

I ought to answer your email.

I ought to link to your post.

I ought to return your call.

I ought to read that one.

I ought to start watching.

I ought to check that one out.

I ought to leave that for another time.

I ought to give that one up.

I ought to stop kidding myself.

I ought to face up to it.

I ought to come clean.

I ought to have learned my lesson.

I ought to cheer up.

I ought to whistle a happy tune.

I ought to put a shine on my shoe and a melody in my heart.

I ought to wake up and smell the coffee.

I ought to switch to decaf.

I ought to cut back.

I ought to give it up.

I ought to swear off.

I ought to start.

I ought to take it up.

I ought to look into it.

I ought to buckle down and just do it.

I ought to get cracking.

I ought to slow down.

I ought to think it over.

I ought to remember that one.

I ought to forget it.

I ought to relax.

I ought to get serious.

I ought to lighten up.

I ought to give it another shot.

I ought to give it a rest.

I ought to quit, a lot of things, but making this list especially, or I'll be at it until Ought-eight.

Thanks to all of you for reading, for commenting, for linking, for helping to keep this blog lively and interesting. All bloggers ought to be as lucky in Ought-seven as I was in Ought-six.

Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home